Wednesday, July 22, 2015

A reflection from a Ron Carpenter message "High Character Christians"

The post below is from Tosh, one of the contributors to this blog.  Read her truth about what God has to say about our character.

My first post:

A reflection from a Ron Carpenter message "High Character Christians".

THE WORD: "You are to be holy to me because I, the Lord, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own." (Leviticus 20:26) "Those who live according to the sinful nature cannot please God." (Romans 8:8)  "Those who live accoriding to the (flesh) have their mindset on what the flesh desires; but those who live according to the Spirit have their mind set on what the Spirit desires." (Romans 8:5)

MY TRUTH: Character, as defined by Merriam Webster is "one of the attributes that distinguish an individual".  According to Pastor Ron, character is "committing to a set of standards", specifically ones that do not change.  One of the most important character traits that God calls us to exhibit is HOLINESS, root word meaning WHOLENESS.  God is WHOLE because he is ONE.  He is fully integrated - whatever God SPEAKS, Jesus COMPLETES through the POWER of the Holy Spirit.   In other words, He says what He thinks, and does what He says.  In the very least, God is a "man of His word . . . after all, "in the beginning, the Word was God and the Word was with God". 

As we are created in God's image we also are comprised of three parts - soul, body and spirit.  If I'm going to be whole, one and therefore, holy, as my Father in heaven has called me to be, then I need to get my mind, body and spirit in alignment with each other.  And if I am to please God, then that alignment should begin with what the Spirit desires, which also means crucifying my flesh.  Holy Spirit, guide me . . . show me what you desire, and reveal to me actions, behaviors, habits that I need to crucify of the flesh.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS:
  • What is my current character?
  • What do I want my character to be?
  • What does God call our character to be?
  • If God is holy, meaning he is fully integrated - what has God said that He has to now do in your life?
Share if you would like!

Love,

Tosh

No comments:

Post a Comment